Pages

Sunday 13 July 2014

Make, Do and Mend

Since taking over as editor of Mumsnet Chelmsford, I have been amazed at just how many small, independent, businesses are being run in and around Chelmsford. Some of them are run purely online, whilst others have taken the plunge and opened their very own bricks and mortar shops! 

One of the aims of Mumsnet Chelmsford is support all things Local and so this is the first in a new series of blog posts showcasing some of these businesses and their owners. First up is Hannah Elgie from Make, Do and Mend. Make Do and Mend has already gained a reputation for running a wide range of creative and craft workshops & classes. 

And I highly recommend the courses, but they should come with a warning - you may become obsessed! Two years ago I took a beginners patchwork course at Make, Do and Mend and produced my very own pincushion. The course was the beginning of my (journey) in patchwork and I’ve since made several patchwork quilts. There is another one I’m currently working on and a huge bag of my favourite baby clothes that I’m planning on turning into a quilt (just need to be 100% sure that I’m finished having children before I can bare to cut them all up!). And it’s probably best not to mention the huge stash of fabric that D has no idea is currently living in the loft!

Mumsnet Chelsmford
My most recently finished quilt.

So having met Hannah through the newly formed New City Girls Women’s Institute group (more on this later in the year!) I asked her a few questions about Make, Do and Mend...

1. What qualifications and experience led you to open Make, Do and Mend?
I did an Art Foundation course, then a BA in Photographic Arts, but really my experience is probably through sewing with my mum from when I was a very young child.

2. What’s the idea behind Make, Do and Mend?
The idea behind Make, Do & Mend is to promote the traditional crafts that are at risk of being lost in our busy modern times.

3. How long did the idea take to become a reality?
Not long, I just did it (I can be quite impulsive!). After the beginning of our knitting club, which is where it all began, it took about 6 months to set up.

4. Why did you choose Chelmsford to open Make, Do and Mend?
Well I moved here from London for love! I wanted to connect with my local community, and noticed there was a gap in the market in Chelmsford.

5. What is your favourite part of running your own business?
The look on peoples faces when they leave the shop having created something new, developed a new skill, had a lovely time learning in a friendly happy environment.

6. How have you found combining being a parent and running Make, Do and Mend?
It is the hardest thing I have ever done! I would never have been able to do it without my amazing friend and brilliant colleague Hayley. Through the help and support of my family it has got easier as Beatrice has got older and more independent.

7. What’s next for Make, Do and Mend?
We hope to continue working with some fantastic tutors & as you may have heard, we have the lovely Chinelo Bally from the Great British Sewing Bee coming to teach workshops here, which is very exciting! Our repertoire of workshops is always expanding and we are always making room for more haberdashery items, wool and fabric. We are also hoping to be involved in the Essex Business Excellence Awards.

8. And finally, what’s your favourite biscuit? (For those of you who aren’t regulars on the main Mumsnet site, this question has been asked in all interviews ever since Gordon Brown famously refused to answer the question!)
 A simple and humble custard cream! 


To find out more about the courses and workshops being run by Hannah at Make, Do and Mend see here.

Are you a local business owner? If you would like to find out more about appearing as part of this series please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment